WHAT IF I CATCH THE CORONA VIRUS?!!! 😦
Lately, this thought seems to be front and center for EVERYONE and in EVERYTHING we do. Then, not too far behind that, these thoughts follow:
What if I lose people I love?
What if I lose the lifestyle to which I am accustomed?
What if I lose my job?
What if I lose things I’ve worked to accumulate?
Then, the darkest fear that is the hard one…..what if I lose my very life?
Personally, I think it is good to face your fears and ask yourself those difficult questions and think about how you might hope to respond before you’re in the heat of the moment. Certainly, these thoughts are valid concerns in the face of the latest pandemic. I venture to guess we’ve had some, if not all, of these thoughts and others pertaining to our own specific situations.
I don’t negate the sorrow felt around the globe. I am sad for people…our country…our world. Nevertheless, whether it’s just my personality or that unquenchable resiliency modeled by my parents, I like to flip things–turn morosity over and try the flip side of ‘what if’ on for size.
I submit to you that we look beyond the ‘things’ we might lose and flip this virus worry on its ear. Consider what we all might GAIN from this experience.
- We GAIN another chance to become one of those 1,000 points of light President Bush urged us to become after 9/11.
- We GAIN chances to love our fellow man, which has lasting, eternal value.
- We GAIN opportunities to look up and around, beyond our self-centered bubble to see how we can esteem others and improve their circumstances.
- We GAIN by not playing the blame game. Did YOU see this coming? Neither did they.
- We GAIN by not giving in to negativity, and not complaining. Take the high road.
- We GAIN muscles–our patience muscle, our endurance muscle, our faith muscle, our hope muscle, etc.
- Everyone GAINS when kindness is practiced.
- We GAIN when we are thankful for everything we’ve already been enjoying all this time before this hit…..good health, abundance, freedom, etc
- Everyone GAINS when we laugh together. Our ‘kids’ were over for dinner Saturday night and we played “Catch Phrase”. We laughed ourselves silly! It felt sooooooo good!
We GAIN time. What we may lose in money, we gain in time. Time to slow down…be still…remember who God is. More time to connect with and love him…more time to love his people.
I hope, in some ways, life won’t return to what it was. I hope we may stay changed for the better after all we’ve gained, not lost, from this unprecedented experience.
Love, grace and peace,